Monday, May 09, 2005

Mapping the Valley

This morning I finished digging out the cellar and smoothing the walls. I'm trying to figure out what to seal them with, though, as I don't have any plastic sheeting around and don't want to have to rebuild this thing next summer. Hmmm... Reeds perhaps? Clay? I need something to put behind the split logs that will line the interior.

This afternoon I went out to map the valley and found that I simply couldn't do it - at least not in anything resembling a scientific way.

I had in mind a topographical map with a pretty accurate accounting of distances from landmark to landmark and other such things. I wanted something I could work on for a while - the whole summer or longer. But as I strode out with my compass and began estimating my paces, I realized that to map a thing is to conquer it, and I do not want to conquer this valley - ever. I don't want to conquer anything anymore. I have already conquered enough. It is time to allow myself to be conquered.

So tonight I'm working on an altogether different kind of map, something that is closer to one of those ancient touchstones of childhood, a map of experience not of conquest.

When I get a working copy I'll let you see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't already put up the support posts, you could try hay, or some similar river reed. Cross hatching the various elements then coating the layers with a resin of some sort (tree sap?) should create a sturdy, mostly waterproof covering. to fully cover the walls and ceiling, you could either coat them with resin once they are in place or prefab them in a dry area nearby, and overlap durring assembly. Depending on what type of resin you use, it would take a anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days to dry. Perhaps you use this information
-a Seeker/Engineer