Monday, May 16, 2005

A Vision

The strangest thing happened to me this evening.

I had already eaten dinner, enjoyed my after-dinner smoke and was resting on my cot in the back room – dozing off and on.

If I am to do anything productively in the late evening, I really need a little nap. And I had planned on sharpening my knives, continuing The Brothers Karamazov and perhaps doing some preparation for the poetry workshop this Thursday.

For some reason I woke up quickly to a strange sensation. It was twilight, but turning towards the front room I swear that I saw, if for no more than a second, a woman’s face looking in through the window! She had short dark hair, somewhat tussled, dark brown eyes, and pale skin.That’s all I caught. Perhaps a fleeting glimpse of something maroon or red as well – a shirt or scarf maybe.

I sat up quickly, but the face had disappeared.

It took me several seconds to collect myself and dash outside, but I saw no one.

If she was here, she’s gone.

I sat on the porch for a long time, waiting for the gloaming to fade and for the stars to come out in their fullness.

Now it’s time for bed.

No comments: