Thursday, May 19, 2005

A Quiet Birthday

Today is my birthday.

I’m thirty-two years old.

That means I have one year to either get myself crucified or conquer the known world.

Yesterday I spent most of my time doing small chores around the cottage looking over my shoulder or up the valley in hopes of catching a glimpse of red through the trees.

Today I pulled some weeds from my little garden, ate my first home-smoked fish and taught some monks how to scan the English language and make words sing.

No one even knows it’s my birthday.

This is a good life.


The clouds
pass quickly overhead,
casting rapid shadows.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday from your long lost friend in San Diego. Drink a Belgian ale for me.

Anonymous said...

Just how does one scan the English language?

JPB said...

Anonymous -

The next Belgian I drink will be to you.

I have added two links that may be of help in your scansion quest.

Perhaps if you could make it you should join one of our poetry workshops.

Anonymous said...

I'll try to drop by in a week or so. And thank you for the guidance in learning scansion.